SMAC Road Race Series Rules
- All Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club (SMAC) members in good standing (i.e. paid your SMAC membership fee for 2017) are eligible. The participation fee is $25.00. All proceeds go directly towards awards and food at an end-of-series recognition ceremony (which is free to all SMAC Race Series participants).
- The series is built on the ideas of competition/sportsmanship and fun/participation in the process of further developing running ability.
- Registration will be accepted at any time. However, once the “grace period” has passed, a runner’s participation in races prior to receipt of series registration will not count towards points accumulation (AKA The “back-points” rule). The “grace period” ends after race #2 – in other words, a registration received before race #3 will get “back points” for races #1+2.
- Any disputes concerning points or standings will be heard by the series director. The series director’s decisions are final (SMAC is not accountable for further appeal).
- Points are accumulated in four ways:
- A) A Runner earns points according to the finish time formula:
Points = 100 X (winning finish time/participant’s time) + (last runner’s time/participant’s time)**.
- B) A Runner earns 1 point for every race mile (race distances are rounded to whole numbers) completed in each of the races included in the SMAC Series. A Runner that does not finish a race earns no points for that race.
- C) A Runner earns 15 Bonus points for completing every race in the Series.
- D) A Runner earns 20 points for volunteering in any Western Mass running race. A Race Director is a special category of volunteer and earns 30 points (when not earning points via racing – “double dipping” (points for racing and volunteering in same event) is not allowed). Contact the series director for volunteer points.
- Awards will be given to all Runners who complete 9 or more events (“Series Finishers”) and top 3 male/female point earners. Additional recognition will be given to participants with Series’ “Perfect Attendance.” Award categories depend upon the number of Series participants and are approved by SMAC board officers.
- Series participants will be listed on the SMAC website (sugarloafmac.org) and point updates will be posted by the series director after every series event.
**Point calculations are rounded to two decimal places via Excel. Calculations are done separately for men’s and women’s finish times.